9.6K views 18 comments

I bought several gallons of Sherwin Williams most expensive and supposidly best paint (over $60 a gallon). It was called "Emerald" and have had the worst experience I have ever had with paint. I had to put on three coats to get it to an acceptable sheen. This paint does not dry with a consistent sheen, it leaves obvious roller marks. They said it was because it was a dark color (dark green, retreat), but I've used other dark colors of far cheaper paint and did not have any problems.

Related: Sherwin Williams Frederick MD

While they where a little helpful, they said it was my roller and gave me a new roller cover. I used it and put it on heavier and with the 3rd coat it was better. I still had another wall and not enough paint for a 3rd coat and I asked for another quart to try to make it right. They agreed but said "this is the last thing they can do, this has to end somewhere"

It has ended, I just won't buy Sherwin Williams products again. Consumer Reports rates thier paint (Duration $60/gal) near the bottom of the list and Behr's Ultra plus ($33/gal) as the 2nd best satin interior paint. I should thank them, since they probably saved me a lot of money as I am repainting most of the rooms in my house this winter.

Good by Sherwin Williams.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Sherwin Williams Paint
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / $60
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Sherwin Williams?

Comments

I am having huge problems with the Emerald paint.I rolled 2 coats on top of existing latex paint.

The Emerald is blistering and peeling off, the sales guy says that I must have done something wrong.I've used SWP since th 1970s, I will never buy their products again.

DIY should of hired a contractor.

Idiots2

Haha! You don't know what you are doing.

Honked off painter

Emerald paint for the price is garbage!I am a pro painter and have used everything imaginable.

Paint and primer in one?! B.S. I have NEVER had to apply four coats of paint in my life. (Over 30 years of painting) Dark red over pink.

After doing a bathroom with it I ran out of what should have been plenty to finish a small laundry room. Instead of buying mor of this *** I broke down and bought Benjamin Moore's Aura paint. Covered in one coat. I repeat ONE coat.

I would love to work side by side with anyone that likes Emerald int. satin paint.

I will prove to them they are clueless.Enough said.

to Honked off painter #1007221

I agree its overpriced trash !

none
to Honked off painter Houston, Texas, United States #1045125

Believe it, this paint is definitely not for the contractor. Been doing this for fifteen years and never had to apply four coats of paint to cover. Who wants to do that no matter how good its supposed to hold up, not to mention how much the customer has to spend.

to Honked off painter #1161876

"Dark red over pink"- This scenario calls for gray primer.I made the mistake once of using dark red paint (Behr) over builder's white.

I got a reasonably good finish after 3 coats and found out later that a gray primer was required and the Home Depot paint department rep forgot to remind me.

Every paint maker has bad batches once in a while.Often it's just user error.

Paintwarrior

I totally agree and am p***** as to the poor quality of this Emerald paint.I will never use this again.

I expect someone from Sherwin Williams to come straighten out the mess that this has made. I had the room looking great and decided to use the Emerald paint as I have spinal cord disease and wanted something that would last. It took me a month to do this room only to have it ruined at the end. I have painted with possibly over 30 gallons of SW paint since before purchasing this home and have NEVER had a mess like this.

I reprepped the walls initially thinking it was a wall problem. NO! IT IS A PAINT PROBLEM. I wish I had checked out the website first.

But, I had such good luck with SW in the past I just trusted them.

No more.It is time to leave this company.

Not a Fan
Versailles, Kentucky, United States #706606

I agree that SW paints are *** - but for a different reason.Every time I use it, Duration/Emerald - i have to pick gelatinous globs off the wall.

What I believe is happening is that the paint is drying on the now plastic lids, mixing with the paint when shaken and floating around in the can and landing on the wall.I just spent the afternoon picking globs off the wall as I painted - for the last time with SW paint, BTW!!!

Temecula, California, United States #698086

Just some facts: Sherwin-Williams Co., manufacturer and distributor of architectural coatings since 1866.3,520 neighborhood paint stores throughout the US.

The Fortune 500 company is on pace to mark its third straight year of record sales and profits and become a $10 billion company. Sherwin-Williams' shares on the New York Stock Exchange have more than doubled in price since the beginning of 2012, from $91 then to $188.53 most recently. Currently, Sherwin-Williams manufactures and markets their products not only to the architectural market but also to the Industrial, Chemical Coatings, Marine, and Automotive to mention a few. Their products are sought after for use on Naval Ships, bridges, manufacturing facilities, hospitals, schools, amusement parks, and on and on.

Very recently, Emerald was used to give The Hollywood Sign a very needed face lift. And we all know that Hollywood takes their face lifts very seriously. My point? We're talking paint here, not rockets.

Any company with integrity and the capabilities to manufacture paint can do so without the risk of launching a dud to the extent being described here. This includes Behr and Benny Moore. I have to ask the question: Why would anyone with any sense at all pay twice for a paint (Emerald) that to them is unproven over one (Behr) that has Consumer Reports' second best satin finish rating?

My sense would tell me to stay with what someone's telling me is near the top or go to the top...